Monday, November 12, 2012

Getting Started....

So, what I am thinking is, I can put all the recipes on here that people ask me for and I never get around to emailing.  A bit like a one stop shop!  What do you think?....A million people have done this before me!...What will make this page any different?...Yea, that is what I think too, BUT It will be different because it is mine! LOL!





 

The silly season is approaching, and we are all feeling the end of year  pinch... roll on Christmas festivities... and holidays!  Like all my Uni friends, I have been studying hard to get my essay submitted in time, and with work commitments and kids stuff  taking most of my time I haven't had much time for FUN cooking.  So I organised for the three of the main ladies in my life, Mum, Nana and my Auntie to come and enjoy some tastings of favourite things I have been making at school and uni these last few weeks and need practice in.
Apart from the cooking, it's also fun to get out the vintage favourites for the table settings.  

 

Today's Menu

Broad Bean Bruschetta
Spaghetti with Basil and Tomato Sauce
Poached Egg on a bed of Rainbow Chard with Hollandaise Sauce
Date pudding with Custard Sauce and Berries
Fresh lemonade
 
 

Date Pudding with Custard Sauce and Strawberries
 
As I dont always think we need to leave the best till last, let's have the dessert first.  I decided to practice custard sauce as it is coming up in my end of year tests and I split the last one. Now what to go with the custard sauce?  Sticky date pudding, minus the sticky, plus the custard sauce? Sounds good to me. I'm not a big fan of dates, but I kinda LOVE sticky date pudding.  This one is so light, fluffy and sooo easy to make. Both pudding and custard were delicious hot and cold.
 
 
Date Pudding with Custard Sauce
 
Date Pudding - makes abut 14 muffins or a 20cm cake tin
 
What you need
  • 200g dried dates
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
  • 100g butter
  • 150g castor sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or a vanilla pod
  • 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
  • Berries of choice as garnish
     
What to do
  • Pre heat oven to 180 C
  • Lightly spray muffin moulds or a cake tin
  • Place roughly choppd dates in a saucepan and bring to boil.  Turn off the heat, add bicarb soda and let sit for 10minutes or so
  • Beat butter and sugar until pale in colour
  • Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time and beat well
  • Fold in flour and date mixture until well combined
  • Spoon into prepared molds
  • Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until firm to the touch
  • Turn out to cool on a wire rack
Custard Sauce

What you need
  • 1 L milk
  • 9 egg yolks (egg whites can be frozen for later use)
  • 120g castor sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence or a vanilla pod
What to do:
  • Create a double boiler using a saucepan and bowl.  Once the water is at boiling point, turn down to a simmer
  • Separate the eggs and place yolk in the bowl with castor sugar. Stir over the double boiler until the sugar is dissolved
  • Add the milk, vanilla/vanilla pod and stir using a wooden spoon until it coats the back of the spoon
  • Strain to remove any bits of coagulated egg and vanilla pod and it is ready to serve
To serve, place pudding in a bowl, make a moat of custard sauce and top with chopped strawberries to garnish.

Enjoy!
 
 
 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment