Thursday, February 14, 2013

Strawberry jam...mulberry jam and Muffin

My 15 year old pup MUFFIN
always keeps me company whilst I am cooking! 
Even if it is past her bedtime.
 
Who doesn't love Strawberry Jam?   

I have made Jam successfully  a couple of times, but  I thought this time I would research recipes after chatting with fellow jam maker and friend Lyn.  Previous attempts have worked, even though I made them with vague recollections of a TV show viewed years ago which suggested  fruit and sugar be equal quantities.  On this flimsy bit of memory, I managed to work out how to make a jam, although it was usually a little thick but so very tasty.


Now for a taste test!
Once this current batch of jam had cooled I was a bit miffed to find it was still a little thick.   I find I am fixing a lot of my cooking recently...My T.A.F.E. Chef Peter, said you can fix almost anything unless it has too much salt, you just need to know how.  How to fix this then?  It's not burnt, just thick.  I figure take it out of the jar, add water until it is the consistency I want, bring to the boil and pour into re-sterilised jars. Perfectamundo!

Next on the list was mulberry jam.  I had a large bag of them in the freezer, thanks to Auntie Helen.  This made a very tangy and textured preserve AND I did not overcook it this time... See....she is learning! 
I made quince paste last September.  It is awesome on cheese and that is essentially the same as a jam.  I was wondering how jam would taste on cheese? Answer = Not sure, I will leave that up to you to decide. 

quince paste, mulberry and strawberry jam
on cheese

I would try this recipe with any jam worthy fruits and it is really easy once you can visualise the setting point, which may or may not take a couple of attempts.
 
Firstly - A few tips for jam making.... 
 
* It is not generally recommended to use over ripe strawberries for jam..why not I say!. (apparently there is not enough pectin, but i have never had a problem)  Waste not want not.  A punnet makes a jar, and you will be hooked. 

*Normal sugar works fine but jam sugar has added pectin, which helps with setting and decreases cooking times.  This can be found at the supermarket and is called JAM sugar.  Thanks for that tip Lyn.
 
*Use a pastry brush and a little water to brush down the sides of saucepan to stop sugaring.
 
*Stir, Stir, Stir.
 
*A fork in the bottom of the pot may help prevent sticking.
 
*If jam is too runny, you many need to boil for a bit longer but test regularly.
 
*Dancing in the kitchen goes well with some cooking, just not jam making! It gets flicked around...
 
*Wear shoes, in case a little spit of boiling jam lands on your toes! ouch! ( whilst you are dancing)
 
*Be careful taking photo's over a boiling pot of jam... a camera won't improve  it's taste ( No I didn't, but almost..lol)
 
Jam
1 cup fruit
3/4 cup jam sugar
1/4 cup water

This was the first time I used jam sugar which has pectin added.  This helps to thicken the jam and  cut the sugar down by 1/4 cup.
 
*Prepare fruit - large chunks for chunky jam or finely chopped for finer textured jam
 
*Place all ingredients in saucepan and dissolve sugar over a low heat
 
*Turn up the heat, boil for around 20 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking
 
*Test jam by dipping in a silver spoon, run another spoon along the back and a line should be left.    The jam should not run back together, if it does boil for another few minutes and check again
 
*Pour hot jam into hot sterilised jars.  Tip upside down for a few minutes to seal the jar.  When you put the jar upright you will notice the lid will have expanded and be hard. As it cools, it will flatten.  This seals the jar correctly.  When you open the jar it will pop like jars we purchase, cool!
 
This jam was excellent on the sponges I made during the holidays.
 
 
 
 P.S. Try eating a cherry whilst stirring jam.  The brain gets confused and we also taste through smell, so my senses just wanted to taste strawberry.  I could not taste the cherry until I looked away.... Weird!
 
A pear and apple tart using jam on top for sweetness.
                        
 
Hope you have a go.
                     Happy Preserving!
 







2 comments:

  1. You can make your own Pectin by boiling quartered apples covered with water then straining through muslin - too easy! Love the idea of making just one jar with a punnet.... I've got some strawberries languishing in the bottom of the fridge that are now destined for the pot! - a chance to use some of my home made pectin! Thanks for the inspiration Kyli X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia. Good to know and it does sound easy. But buying sugar with the pectin in it is easier. lol. I know, call me slack! Im glad your strawberries will no longer be left to the desolate life of decomposition. Have fun. x

    ReplyDelete