Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sugared lemon and Orange slices


Last weekend I planned to do absolutely NO cooking.  I was just not in the mood for cooking.  I was especially not in the mood for dishes!  Dishes seem to breed in my house, little pests!

I spent a good part of the day cleaning my messy back yard,  winter had left its mark and from the kids continually  leave everything out side.  It is amazing how much cutlery I find hidden in the garden!  It had been a typically hot Aussie day and I was thirsty so I headed into the kitchen for a glass of water. I bought some lemons that morning and quickly squeezed some into a jug of water, then, I placed some slices of lemon into my jug.  Looked pretty!  Take a Photo!  Maybe I can put that on the blog!
When lemon is sliced it has so many dimensions to it making it interesting to look at.  I always wanted to make sugared lemon slices.  Hmmm, I have some more lemons in the fridge and some oranges too. Can’t be too hard to make?  A quick bit of research results in lots of different recipes.  Which one to try, perhaps a little bit of this one, little bit of that one and let’s see what happens!
Wash the fruit and slice into rounds.  Using a saucepan make sugar syrup by dissolving a cup of caster sugar in a cup of water.   Add the fruit, keeping it lying flat in the pot.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  Take out the fruit and discard the sugar syrup, this will get rid of a lot of the bitterness from the pith of the fruit, and it did, I did a taste test… blak!  Make another lot of sugar syrup and add fruit.  Simmer for another half hour or so. 
Using tongs take out the fruit and lay on trays covered with baking paper.  This can be left to dry naturally but I am impatient and  put mine in the oven on slow and let it dry out over a couple of hours. 
How does it taste you ask?  Pretty good actually, BUT to finish them off I dipped them  in caster sugar.  The sugar should stick well as the sugar syrup has made the fruit all sticky. I love the visual effect of the finished product and they taste interesting and quite different.   I’m thinking these might make some lovely little Christmas pressies.
So as you can see, I did no cooking that weekend! Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment