Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chocolate mousse - Original 70's recpie

My biggest inspiration is my Mum. She is my hero, my treasure and my best friend. She has been the biggest influence in my life and I know I get my love of cooking..... and eating....... from her. 
 

3 generations, Mum with me and Nanna in 1973
I remember so many delicious things Mum cooked as I was growing up. Memorable dishes were, strawberry crepes, brandy snaps, cream horns, cream puffs, vanilla slice and pikelets.  At christmas time there was a table full of slices such as peppermint, caramel and rocky road.  Birthdays were honey crackles, lamingtons and of course...cheezle (not that we made those).
My birthday in 1977
 

Obviously we were a fan of sweets but there were some delicious savoury foods like sausage rolls, french onion soup as well as the traditional lamb and silverside roasts. 
 
Some times fruits were preserved, like tomatoes, plums and apricots. 
 
Although our tastes have evolved tremendously over the last few years and savoury/veggie foods have become a focus,  some things deserve to be remembered such as Mum's traditional chocolate mousse from the 70's. 
 
Mum made this recently for a friend, and I was lucky enough to get a sample.  It took me right back to being a kid. A little bowl is enough to satisfy the sweet monster in us...yum yum yum!
Mum with her 1970's mousse in 2012...does that mean it is now vintage?
 
 
Here it is... super creamy 1970's chocolate mousse

300g chopped fine cooking chocolate
3eggs
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon sifted cocoa powder
300mls thickened cream plus extra for decorating
grated chocolate
 

Place chopped chocolate in a glass jug or bowl and hold over a saucepan of gently simmering water (double boil).  Do not let the bowl touch the water.  It is the steam that melts the chocolate.


Stir with a metal spoon until melted.  Set aside and cool.
 
Beat eggs and sugar in a large glass bowl.  Beat with an electric beater for five minutes or until the mixture is pale and thick. It should have doubled in volume. 
 
Gently fold the cooled chocolate and cocoa powder together. Do not over stir.
 
In a separate bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.  Be careful to not over beat.
 
Use a large metal spoon to fold the cream into the chocolate mixture.  Keep the mixture as air rated as possible. 
 

Spoon into 6 serving glasses and chill for an hour.
 
Decorate with whipped cream, a sliced strawberry and grated chocolate. 
 
Just thinking back  to the 70's.  Do you remember Professor Julius Sumner doing those chocolate ad's on T.V?  Love it!  They are iconic to us, but were actually made in the 80's.  I found a cool one.. here 'tis.  P.S. Id like to know how on earth I remembered his name??? Anyway, have a look.......
 
 
 
I found one ad from 1970, the year I was born and had to put it up.  WHAT A CRACK UP.....!
 
http://aso.gov.au/titles/ads/cadbury-got-yourself-a-man/clip1/

Just before I go, a few more  memories of my treasured memories from the 70's.



Later alligators!
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment